Forums Personality Rationals INTP - Architect
  • Topic: Need advice from INTP people.

Back To Topics
    • January 28, 2014 8:54:12 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Need advice from INTP people.

Not sure whether I'm an INTP or INFP. I've been showing all INTP charesteristics from my childhood. Like,
      I've been interested in finding logical explanation for things happening aroung me.
      I was more interested in theory than practical stuffs and chose Physics over Engineering for my undergraduation.
      I could think deep and find creative solutions for hard problems - and I really enjoyed doing that.
      But a series of events happened in my life during the past few years made me more imotional than I was. Now I feel like I'm less 'powerful' than I was before. Does it really makes me an INFP. If yes, how can I be more rational like I was before. Need advises from INTP people?

• January 28, 2014 9:18:57 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Hey, I'm kind of pondering the same dilemma, I score on various tests different ways, I find I have a very rational mind, and I value rationality above most else, I'm a critical thinker and I usually think up ideas that are fairly complex, and get annoyed by emotional responses in class to material I like to explore the world and learn about everything. I am considering majoring in physics, because I love the idea componenet. However, I was looking at the break-down of what made me INFP and it said it was just that I valued compassion. Now I actually took this test when I was younger and came out INTP, but again like you some events transpired and now I'm scoring INFP. I'm kind of curious what my natural disposition is because it would explain some stuff. But, I'd assume if I have strengths in both Te and Fe than that is good, no need to be pigeonholed. What I really want though is for someone to tell me based on my posts or something whether they think I' fit more in the "rationals" catagory or the "dreamers." Doesn't really answer your question, my apologies.

• January 28, 2014 9:21:43 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

sorry, this is my main account.

• January 28, 2014 3:09:04 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Do you make lists to rationalize when you like something/someone when you are explaining it to someone else or can you just feel it and you say I like this/person?
      Do you like to argue about complex systems (like computers or physics) till other people get on their nerves? If you enjoy it you are probably INTP x)
      explore the world; if that includes rather cultures and life styles than systems political or historical than I would say INFP
      Do you find it very important how other people make you feel? -> INFP if you don't question that than -> INTP ^^

This post was edited by Qiwi at January 28, 2014 3:10:05 PM PST
    • February 10, 2014 2:27:59 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

But I think I'm INTP. Because, even though I've a developed F factor, my T factor still dominates.

• February 27, 2014 6:19:11 PM PST
    • Need advice from INTP people.

Simple. Do you care about other people's thoughts or your own more?

• March 3, 2014 7:54:53 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Every INTP will be forced to develop their F side at some point, but learning you have emotions/ can be emotional is not the same as making decisions in an F based fashion. I have seen numerous INTP have crisis because they haven't dealt with their own emotion for so long that when it finally confronts them, it is overwhelming and hard to process because it lacks logical explanation. If you feel your emotions are affecting how you make decisions and process the world, you may be an F. If you recognize you have emotions, but still process the world in a logical manner, you probably are a T learning to cope with a side of yourself that didn't know you had.

• March 11, 2014 1:55:19 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Its not necessarily about emotions as much as it is about your actions. Just because you FEEL something does not mean you will choose to act on what you feel.

I think that the official site explains it better:

"Do you like to put more weight on objective principles and impersonal facts (Thinking) or do you put more weight on personal concerns and the people involved (Feeling)?

Don’t confuse Feeling with emotion. Everyone has emotions about the decisions they make. Also do not confuse Thinking with intelligence.

Everyone uses Thinking for some decisions and Feeling for others. In fact, a person can make a decision using his or her preference, then test the decision by using the other preference to see what might not have been taken into account."
      ( http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/thinking-or-feeling.asp )

This post was edited by CherryBl0550m at March 13, 2014 1:45:57 AM PDT
    • July 18, 2014 7:54:42 PM PDT

You may just be experiencing strong emotions. When stressed out, or doing an activity that presses our Fe buttons (like dating or going through the trials of a relationship) we can get pretty unhinged for short periods. When that happens to me, my logical skills seem a lot more cloudy, and they are a lot harder to use until things quiet down.

If you were an INFP, they are the deepest feelers so you would probably have had incredibly deep emotions your entire life. It's almost less about emotions though and more about "convictions". INFP's have a very strong sense of what's acceptable or not acceptable according to their own values. Very strong convictions.... that when something goes against them you get deeply upset and riled up. While all types have things that upset them from time to time, INTP's usually give a lot less fucks about most things than the average person. Where INFP's are probably at the opposite end of that spectrum.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at July 18, 2014 7:56:30 PM PDT
    • February 23, 2017 8:44:44 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

what do you think about emotions, feelings and love?

• July 30, 2018 5:03:11 AM PDT

Have you looked into emotional triggers? That might explain a sense of having your feelings hijacked.

If you go back to analyzing the situations where you were triggered, could be experiences and memories from wwaaaayyy back resonating with your current state of mind, you might find answers which get you back on track to Thinking deeply and clearly again.

• July 30, 2018 8:04:29 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I tend to be the introspective. So Yes, I have looked into how people trigger my own feelings. It has help me avoid a lot of conflict.

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel