Forums Personality Rationals INTP - Architect
  • Topic: Do you talk to yourself and hold an active conversation?

Back To Topics
    • July 3, 2014 1:45:15 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Do you talk to yourself and hold an active conversation?

I'm curious if this is part of my personality trait or I'm just a little crazy. Whenever I believe I'm alone like in the shower, in my bedroom, or while in the car I tend to talk to myself quite actively both asking the questions and responding as if I were giving another vantage point. It's never as an agree or disagree, but as a different view on the topic and have an explanation on hand why that viewpoint is valid even as a conflicting argument to my view. I tend to imagine that it is someone other than myself answering back, an impartial opinion that I may not have thought of initially; however, it is still myself giving the answer.

In my latest tirade with myself I have come to the conclusion that Time Traveling is not achievable without aid from the period you are traveling to; that it is more plausible to travel in the past than into the future as you can use historical records to calculate your projected landing point as it were.

The first problem is that your position on Earth is not the same as your position on the fabrics of Space-Time. Our planet is not stationary, it's constantly moving through Space-Time as are other celestial bodies around us; you have to calculate the speed of Earth's rotation, the revolution around the Sun, and spiraling of the Galaxy to the point you are time traveling. Even if to say your time traveling machine is stationary if you were go back 100 years it would not be at the same place you were on Earth rather the empty vacuums of space that Earth has yet to occupy or worse another celestial body that is already there. This is not impossible to accomplish though as we can send satellites into the Earth's orbit and track its spacial positioning for the next 100 years, the future would already have those records and be able to pinpoint the location in Space-Time that you want to go to.

The second problem is the Matter and Mass that already exists in the area that you would appear, science fiction tends to allude this point as you can appear out of thin air except that is the problem, air or specifically surrounding gases. The gas around still has Mass and that would take priority over what is coming in and it would either obliterate you or fuse with your incoming body, otherwise killing you (think air bubbles in your bloodstream). Maybe you can appear in the emptiness of the vacuum of space; however, space is not actually empty, while it is a vacuum, random elements and molecules still float around not to mention radiation and if String Theory is true that's a whole other boat of problems.

• July 3, 2014 2:15:23 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I have an ex that I dated for years, and I have imaginary conversations with him in the car a lot. Or in the house. I know what he would say, and we do have bizarre conversations.

To go back in time, you can't appear out of thin air, you'd have to land on the planet or go through a portal somehow. If u have a spaceship, then you'll be able to track down the planet, which makes things easier. But also harder as Nasa won't let us borrow their shuttles easily. We'd have to find a way to break in and smuggle it out, so a minaturisation ray will be needed too. Then we can work on breaking the time barrier.

• July 3, 2014 4:31:25 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I do this all the time. Sometimes to prepair my feelings so I don't come off the right. Other times just have witty comebacks prepaird. But most of the time when I talk to myself and/or an imaginary versions of people is becasue I don't know how to express whatever I wish I could tell them at least not without rubbing them the wrong way. I doubt it's Strictly an INTP thing but it could be seeing as most times I end up on the cusp for E/I and have tested resulting as INTP once before.

• July 4, 2014 2:09:51 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I get typed as an ENTP by extroverts - mainly because I mirror them so if they are loud, I get loud. Can be hard to figure out which one we are because of that mirroring. If we're around extroverts, we act like them. If we are around introverts, we act like them too. If alone, we pretend other ppl are around us and talk to them......

I find I go through phases of being P/J more though. I have my decisive moments, and have to work so damn hard to stick to my decisions. I don't think actual J's have to brainwash themselves like that?

• July 16, 2014 4:33:39 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I am one of the coolest people I know. I like to get to know myself. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that completely lack inner dialogue.

• October 20, 2017 12:56:39 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Yes, I do talk to myself. It gives me the advantage of being a one-person think-tank. However, it does Trouble people if they see me talking to myself.

I was out for a walk and I was trying to resolve a design and application problem. A police car pulled up beside me. The office asked if I was alright. I said I was fine. I was just out for a walk. I think he was afraid to ask why I was talking to myself.

Another up-side is that by talking to myself, I am a better fiction writer.

• October 30, 2017 5:59:51 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Ab-solutely. How else am I supposed to survive this life. lol

• May 10, 2018 6:29:23 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

This is a great question. Never thought about it being a trait based on personality types. I assumed I was secretly losing it. I constantly talk to myself. Although I do make a point to not do it in public. I used to speak to my dog alot. Say something to him, assume what he'd say back and respond again. I do wonder if all people in someway or another do these things. We all certainly sing to ourselves on occasion.

• May 10, 2018 2:36:29 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Yup. I do it. Co-workers get to hear plenty of it - especially when things aren’t going as smoothly as possible. If they didn’t know me, they’d think I was “touched”. They might still think it. I dunno. Most know that it’s probably a good idea to steer clear when I get too quiet. There is this one new guy though, that seems to thrive on the negative reinforcement I’ve dished his way more than once this week. HATE being interrupted when I’m on a roll. HATE that some people can’t multi-task. They can talk to me or they can work, but they can’t do both simultaneously. Not so bad as long they don’t get in the way of MY multitasking, or want me to stop what I’m doing so I can look at something they just sent me. Worse when they come talk to me about the thing I want them to send me, before they send it to me. I can see some heavy lifting/heat coming down the pike REAL soon, and this guy is so blissfully oblivious and talking while I’m thinking about how to take this upcoming hit more like a glancing blow, rather than a frikkin Head-on Collision by 2 cars doing 100+. Anyway, a little off-track there. Sorry. I did talk to my dog all the time. Eventually, she understood that when 2 people vocalize, they can communicate, so she & I would have very robust “conversations“. I didn’t let on that I wasn’t exactly sure what she was saying. Instead, I would say something like, “You make a good point, Tara.” Then she’d continue until she was done, looking quite pleased we were able to have a nice chat. Now, a lot of my conversations take place when when I goof up. “Oh, Liam, you’ll never get that to happen doing it THAT way. You must do it the correct way if you want results.” I talk to God a lot. He doesn’t seem to mind. :)

• December 21, 2018 9:12:07 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

When I was, much, younger, I used to have epic conversations that lasted for hours with other (real) people, completely in my head. Mostly the actual conversation I would have liked to have had with that person in reality but that I was just too isolated to have. More recently, possibly due to my being forced to interact more in the real world, that almost never happens. Now I tend to just have a running dialog with myself, giving different viewpoints and playing devils advocate. The only time this is an issue is in public and, tbh, the issue doesn't tend to be mine.

• January 7, 2019 9:48:08 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

All the time. I've been driven to it by activity on the internet. I HATE incomplete thoughts!! Lately, however, Alexa has been jumping into the convo. I was in the middle of kicking a theory about predator behavior around the room and she chirps, "I'll take and burger and fries". What?!?!

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel