Forums Personality Romantics INFJ - Counselor
  • Topic: INFJ Careers

Back To Topics
    • October 22, 2014 7:59:11 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

As part of my interest in personality psychology, I think often about it's application to our careers and level of satisfaction. Granted, one's interests must also be factored into satisfaction in a job or line of work. However, I have read that INFJ's tend to be happiest in careers related to counseling others (hence "counselor"), the arts, or in the medical field.

Personally, I work in public accounting as an auditor. This line of work has been challenging, especially in the first few years, given the requirement to be so focused on details for long periods of time. I get excited about new/fresh ideas and creating. I've had more opportunities for this as I move up in my Company, but largely they are limited.

What careers/jobs are you INFJ's in and how satisfied are you?

• October 22, 2014 8:14:16 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

Well, I'm in-between jobs right now but just finished a stint as an office worker for nearly a year. I really liked the job and feel it represents a worthy avenue of exploration. I have an Associate's Degree in History and Political Science and still intend to return for a BA in English Literature with an emphasis in Creative Writing, then Law School. Part of the job development program affiliated with my past job possesses a team of staff continuing to assist me in finding an appropriate capacity, namely office work. I am an INFJ and am sure that even when I do finish law school I will always write novels and articles of fiction and non-fiction. I guess this means...to answer your question, ynattirbrittany, that I'm in the freelance writing business and am satisfied with it at this time. Thanks for asking. Sincerely, MattD

• October 22, 2014 8:22:46 PM PDT
    • INFJ Careers

Imagine if we were in a world where our brains were catscanned at an early age and periodically throughout childhood. If our left hemisphere is more devloped then the other then we're taught more rigurously in subjects such as math, science and history. The same goes for the right brain with art, philosophy and music. After schooling, we can be vouched for in the occupational fields we'd actually be useful in. Now, wouldn't that be a much better system than what we have in place now? Anyway, auditing sounds like it would be awfully boring. :/ Once I've gotten college out of the way, I hope to get into filmmaking. Screenwriting and directing seem like no brainers for INFJs, am I right? :)

• October 23, 2014 12:48:04 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

Before, I worked an assistant editor for film. It was quite satisfying to have a close knit team where you can get to know everyone and create something, hopefully unique.

Now, I'm going into teaching. The best part has been working with students one-on-one, getting to know them, and trying to provide a little guidance on their journey.

• December 27, 2014 11:07:47 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

Hey all, thanks for posting. I have been having this conversation about career with myself for quite some time. For about two years now I have been a personal trainer in the health and fitness industry. I enjoy the work very much and find it satisfying to engage with clients one-on-one on a personal level. You get to learn all sorts of things about them and vice versa. Because you see them at a frequency of 2-3x/ week for an hour over a period of 2-3 months or more it is very easy for clients to feel like really good friends. I've dealt with a variety of personalities who were all pleasant for the most part. It definitely stretches your people skills in a good way and you get adept at relating to almost anyone, finding commonalities and going from there.

• December 29, 2014 6:47:12 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

I work in the Australian Army. In February I will be starting my IET's to become an Artillery Observer. I love the discipline and professionalism of the army. Sometimes I can be frustrated by the more common personalities that the army attracts, but for the most part its a good bunch of guys that are quite mature for the age bracket they represent.

• March 21, 2015 6:26:21 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

My last job was at a veterinary clinic, and I spent a number of years there. I had always wanted to work with animals, but had the misfortune of developing allergies while there, and my doctor made it quite clear that my days (in that field) were numbered.

It took some time to figure out what I would most like to do, but I've decided on Recreation Therapy, with a focus on working with the elderly. This will allow me to do the things I'm most naturally suited for as an INFJ, in some capacity (counseling, creativity, health/healing), and I will be able to work in a variety of different settings/environments, from hospitals, to recreation centres, and long-term living facilities, etc.
      I'm starting school in September, and must say, that this is the first career choice I really and truly feel 100% about... I'm over the moon with excitement! :)

I'll add, as well, that I was encouraged my whole life to pursue visual art, but I was never quite sure what I wanted to do with that. Before making my decision, I had very seriously considered going into psychology, with a masters in art therapy. I'm wondering now, how many art therapists are INFJs... probably a fair amount, I would guess!

This post was edited by Splendid at March 21, 2015 9:34:30 PM PDT
    • The following users say thanks to Splendid for this useful post:
    • April 4, 2015 1:55:51 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

My first job is a client facing one in the customer service field, I loved it so much that I was so keen to go to work earlier each day & I devoted all my heart and energy there.

Now I am doing marketing & event management, so far I do it pretty well but deep down I always don't feel right about it. I go to work every day just to pay the bills.

Just like fellow INFJs (I suppose), I am interested in art, literature, music, movies and obviously personality types & psychology. But none of these could bring me a job... so I'm kinda stuck now. It's so helpful to read all your comments & understand how you guys figure out where your passion lies!! Hope I will find my way too.

• July 2, 2015 2:07:47 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

I'm studying anthropology and absolutely loving it. I get to learn so much about other people and cultures and am surrounded by people who are interested in the same.

• October 25, 2015 3:12:01 PM PDT
    • INFJ Careers

I have a job that I don't like but it pays the bills so I'm staying for the mean time. I am pursuing a career in Photography which I really really love doing. So yeah. Goodluck to me! :)

• November 14, 2015 12:34:44 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

I worked as an a tool maker and then engineer for a little better than 20 years. I hated the technical side of it but loved the creative. I always gravitated into a management position which was also a mixed bag. I was very good with people but disappointed they could not live up to my expectations. Then I rehabbed houses a couple years before becoming an appraiser. I loved the learning but like all things I get in to, I quickly became bored. I almost feel as though I've painted myself in a corner. I've done a pretty good job of automating a lot of the details. Now that appraisers are mostly anonymous, I hardly talk to anyone and only work about 25 hrs a week. The introvert in me has painted himself in a corner. I'm like the dog that caught the car.

• October 19, 2017 7:10:03 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

I been working as a professional nurse in a large hospital for five years. Initially, I was very much confused on what to take as a course in college. All I know is that my strength is leaning more on science. I have also consider being a medical doctor, but it takes too long to be one. Basically, I end up as nurse and taking my masters degree. In someway it is rewarding when patients look up to you with appreciation but other times due to the stressful environment and facing conflict with different people, it just feels draining.

• May 19, 2018 7:23:36 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

Wow Leperkin, you dove right into my mind with your way of thinking. Thanks for that!

• May 21, 2018 2:10:44 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

Meditate and you will find the best fruits!

• May 23, 2018 2:49:02 AM PDT
    • INFJ Careers

I think we INFJs struggle a lot with this question, about what career to choose- we tend to be perfectionistic, and want to find the "right" career that will lead us to fulfill our ultimate potential. Though, I'm not sure that my experience was like other's; I was a pretty weird kid: I was pretty good at math/science and the writing/humanities/social sciences. That probably had something to do with my indecisiveness on a career path. It has taken me a long time to figure out that my first passion was always the one I'd end up picking. Since I was in kindergarten and elementary school, I was always happy to help others learn (according to my parents) and was pretty good at it, even though I could be a bit sassy lol I once told my teacher, who asked me to help another student with their homework "Why are you making me do your job?" LOL! I would go through lots of passions until I got to grad school, including marine biology, architecture/design, math, writing, counseling, paleontology, botany, environmental sciences, history, social justice issues, business, economics, politics, policy, and international relations. Then, once I actually got to teach students in college I realized I wanted to do this indefinitely. Lucky for me, I landed a teaching job and currently teach in higher education. I honestly really love my job. It's stressful for sure, and I act as a mentor and counselor on top of being a teacher, since students deal with many issues besides their coursework, but I know it's what I've always wanted to do. If I were to give some advice for other INFJs it's to continue exploring your options. Don't be afraid to take your time to find an area that makes you feel fulfilled and that meets your needs. I know it's hard to accept because we don't like ambiguity, for things to be out of our control or to not know what awaits us (I still hate feeling that way), but we'll find our way through the fog. We're pretty good at that.

• May 24, 2018 8:50:17 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

I have been a hairstylist for 13 years. I haven’t ever done anything else. Personally I’ve always wanted to be some sort of a counselor or to do something that helps people. I love my job because i can be creative, but also help out someone. I’m cheaper than a therapist. Lol!

• June 6, 2018 9:49:45 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

INFJ Careers

I have worked in the accounting field, desktop publishing, customer service, and now I work in Municipal Government. I think I'm happiest in my current field, I still get to do some accounting, I get to flex my creative muscles with working on the City newsletter, website, and flyers, I get to help people and make my community better which always makes me happy, I have a pretty good balance of time alone in my office crunching numbers or researching and time up front interacting with the public, all in all it's a pretty great fit for me. My dream job would be to be a writer, but I need more personal discipline before I can do that for income.

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel