Forums Personality Romantics INFP - Healer
  • Topic: How Do infp's Appear to Others?

Back To Topics
    • April 30, 2015 4:21:41 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

How Do infp's Appear to Others?

I'm fascinated by these topics for the other personality types, so I wanted to make one for infp's because I can't figure out what I look like... or something.

Anyway, in my experience, infp's tend to present themselves as pretty closed off for the most part. Kind of a flat affect and tend to avoid attention. So yeah very much introverts, but also fairly deliberately representing themselves with the way they dress. When approached they will put on a happy face.
      That being said, can't honestly say that I've known that many infp's.

What do you all think?

• April 30, 2015 5:00:54 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

To be honest, I often find INFPs to be rather open people. I think I know quite a few INFPs, a few self-professed INFPs, and others I suspect to be, and they're all very personable, but not at all closed-off; nor do I get the sense they're putting on a front. An INFP I hadn't known very long, for example, was very eager to share his poetry with me. It could just be me though, an INFP friend once told me I have a look on my face that says 'tell me about your life.' But yeah, INFPs, great folks. I find you to be very welcoming, eager to have an interesting conversation, definitely willing to talk about your lives and your pasts, and not in the remotest bit judgmental towards others, so long as they haven't done anything offensive.

• April 30, 2015 5:14:03 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

NINJAs

• The following users say thanks to Brianna for this useful post:
    • May 2, 2015 1:13:30 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Now I wish I knew an INFP so I could say something. I know an INFJ. he acts like he doesn't want attention. but when I'm talking to him I can almost feel the energy going out from me to him, like he reeeally needs the attention but would never admit it. I also knew an ENFP. She also acted like she didn't want attention, but in her silence you could tell that she was very aware of whether she was getting attention or not. So I'd say a common theme with NFs is attention. Sometimes needing it and not admitting it or using the need for it to influence a situation, whether actively or passive aggressively.

This post was edited by Cyanara at June 10, 2017 9:21:33 PM PDT
    • The following users say thanks to Cyanara for this useful post:
    • May 2, 2015 1:14:42 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

@SamPhillips "An INFP friend once told me I have a look on my face that says 'tell me about your life.' I think I have that same look too! Cab drivers often start talking to me for no reason and then I think is it me?

This post was edited by Cyanara at May 2, 2015 1:19:25 AM PDT
    • May 23, 2015 8:31:24 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I don't know how everyone percieves someone like me, but I can probably tell you that I think it's a lot worse than it actually is. I can be pretty self-conscious, so in my head I may sometimes exaggerate things...when in fact it seems most people like me and I'm just making it hard on myself.

You're right about being approached. I welcome being approached with a typically friendly manner. I think I'm at least a little closed-off though in contrast to what Sam was saying. I do tend to avoid the attention and it's mostly because I don't like being put on the spot. Especially when it's about describing myself. Though this really depends what the situation is. I'm not always like this. I think it's just when I meet new people. Once I warm up to people, I don't have this problem.

I think I'm like that with new people because I get overwhelmed by a lot of new information about the people I'm meeting. I become more observant and I watch how other people are acting. Or listening to what they are talking about.

• May 28, 2015 3:07:52 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Brianna said:
      NINJAs

LOL kinda scared to ask why

• April 26, 2016 1:39:17 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I have only one friend of the INFP type, so I may suffer from a sample bias, but I would say: Creative, Dreamy and Kind.

INFP are also likely to be perceived as social as, if not more than, most extraverts*, for they have deeper relationships (even in friendship) which leads to fewer better relations.

Also, "[INFP are] fairly deliberately representing themselves with the way they dress. When approached they will put on a happy face." - calmjames
      is very true for my friend as well!

edit*: this is also the conclusion of NERIS Analytics (the guys behind 16personalities.com).

This post was edited by Raziel at April 26, 2016 1:40:43 PM PDT
    • September 8, 2016 3:00:58 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Stalkers :P

Jk. When people tell me their impression of me all I get is, "Mysterious, dark, empathetic, friendly, easy to talk to, good listener" etc... Typical traits associated with our type.

The only other INFP I know IRL would be my mom. We're a lot different, despite having the same personality type. She's quite judgmental and often rushes to conclusions way too quickly without getting the whole story, often daydreams about both negative and positive scenarios as well. I always catch her looking out the window in her bedroom, and it's quite enjoyable to hear what she daydreams about. Her dark ones scare me a little sometimes though lol (often involving war and murder, etc). Despite all that she's a very loving mother and I love her to death.

Not sure if I answered your question but here you go! lol

• June 10, 2017 9:26:40 PM PDT
    • How Do infp's Appear to Others?

I agree with some of you about having a "tell me about your life" face!

When I'm riding the bus, seniors tend to approach me to strike up conversations. It makes sense I attract older folks - maybe it's because many of them tend to become sentimental and enjoy recalling their more youthful days and having someone to listen is always nice.

INFPs also have a natural curiosity (especially about people), so they like to ask questions about you... which ends with the other revealing much about themselves.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at June 23, 2017 5:16:12 PM PDT
    • August 27, 2017 8:33:07 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I've only known one person who was an INFP. As an INFJ, I found him to be very calming and easy to be around, much more so than most people. He was shy, but relaxed and it was great that he was okay with pauses in conversations or just sitting out in nature in silence together.

He, like many introverts, withdrew into alone/recharge time, which I very much understand as a fellow introvert, but I never saw him again after that so it left me very confused. That makes me wonder if my perceptions of him were off.

• May 30, 2019 3:02:28 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

@Annamomiji not off..this sounds right. Maybe you should reach out to him...idk the situation but as an infp we arent really good initiators. Although he withdrew himself he might not have realized he did (we're idealist dreamers) and might be wondering what happened or who left the conversation first. Haha lol

This post was edited by WhitneyO at May 30, 2019 3:03:09 AM PDT
    • May 30, 2019 3:23:48 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I really like this website when it comes to reading into the different personlity types: https://www.personalitypage.com/html/INFP_rel.html

- This page specifically points out what they consider the best relationship matches and why based off of personality types, which is either ENFJ and secondly ESFJ as matches for the INFP.

So has anyone dated or even married these types? What are they like and what do you think? Are these types compatible in your experience? (Also if you guys are friends maybe you should consider dating one of them

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel