Forums Personality Romantics INFJ - Counselor
  • Topic: do a lot of infjs struggle with anxiety?

Back To Topics
    • December 24, 2015 4:30:12 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

do a lot of infjs struggle with anxiety?

A lot of the infjs I know struggle with anxiety - are these just my neurotic friends or is it a pattern?

• December 24, 2015 9:26:17 PM PST
    • do a lot of infjs struggle with anxiety?

I used to have anxiety problems in my earlier years, I don't anymore now because I found a way to deal with it myself. It wasn't easy though...

• December 27, 2015 10:13:03 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

When I was young, yes. But that was just as much a product of a difficult childhood as it was my personality.
      When I was 18 I landed an acting job which lasted three years and that pretty much taught me how to handle myself.

• The following users say thanks to LisaL for this useful post:
    • December 30, 2015 9:47:37 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

My sister is an INFJ, and she struggles with anxiety and BPD. Don't know if it's strictly an MBTI thing, but I also struggle too. Maybe it's more genetic/based on people's experiences?

• December 30, 2015 9:47:40 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

My sister is an INFJ, and she struggles with anxiety and BPD. Don't know if it's strictly an MBTI thing, but I also struggle too. Maybe it's more genetic/based on people's experiences?

• December 31, 2015 10:32:13 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I have CPTSD due to prevent ball abuse. After two failed marriages with narcissist types, I'm finally healing my subconscious.
      I'm 52, and only recently discovered my empath side. I've learned to avoid certain people, so I don't pick absorb their energy.

• December 31, 2015 10:36:08 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Why am I showing up as a guy profile?

• January 16, 2016 1:24:42 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I'd say to me it's more about my way to deal with bad emotions. Most of the time I keep it all bottled up, and so I'm prone to anxiety 'attacks', even though it's not really attacks, more of a overload of stress and negative emotions that lead to more stress and anxiety. Maybe linked to the 'Introverted' part?

This post was edited by Fann at January 16, 2016 1:25:38 PM PST
    • January 20, 2016 8:50:06 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Yes. I do think it's a personality type pattern. We get overstimulated by the outside world so easily and we don't feel understood by most people... that in itself can trigger a lot of anxiety for multiple reasons. I think every INFJ may struggle with anxiety to some extent.

Personally i have to meditate a lot...take a lot of vitamins and exercise to keep myself feeling emotionally healthy. If I slack off on that I can feel the mental decline in a matter of days.

• May 8, 2016 7:41:58 PM PDT

crankingsirens said:
      Yes. I do think it's a personality type pattern. We get overstimulated by the outside world so easily and we don't feel understood by most people... that in itself can trigger a lot of anxiety for multiple reasons. I think every INFJ may struggle with anxiety to some extent. Personally i have to meditate a lot...take a lot of vitamins and exercise to keep myself feeling emotionally healthy. If I slack off on that I can feel the mental decline in a matter of days.

I completely agree with this. Anxiety is my worst enemy, but keeping a healthy diet and meditating does wonders.

• June 19, 2016 7:28:53 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I have had fairly prolonged anxiety attacks before. I think it's a combination of overstimulation from the outside world and being a long term/big picture thinker that easily extrapolates current conditions. I definitely agree with Fann that it's a matter of expressing (negative) emotions as well. I haven't had much practice with meditation for it, but I have gone to a therapist in two different series of visits.

• June 25, 2016 11:24:42 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Going to a therapist if definitely a good way, especially if the anxiety is strong.

But I also agree with Astrym on following a healthy diet. Eating less sugar helped me quite a lot. And alcoholic beverages only moderate. Everything else (no wheat flour, vegan, etc.) is just optional I think.

In addition to the wheat flour thing: When I dropped wheat flour for several weeks - as a test how it is to live without gluten - anxieties and nervosity got stronger.

Does anyone else has experiences with that?

• September 2, 2016 11:33:23 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Mostly social.. and existential anxiety.. I agree with the others.. It's a combination of everything - overstimulation, knowing what people expect/want/need and feeling inclined to please, taking in others' emotions / energies, not knowing how to express my own feelings accordingly, seeing multiple possibilities.. etc.

This post was edited by justdust at August 20, 2017 2:53:49 AM PDT
    • May 18, 2017 1:31:39 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Yes, I got anxiety a lot, but I'm also currently battling with depression, though I am seeing a therapist. That does help! Especially since I don't usually talk about my issues with anyone and have hard time with explaining my feelings. Always feels like no one understands me

• May 30, 2017 4:05:20 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

As an INFJ, my anxiety is more... temporary than my depression (which is clinical). Anxiety is worst for me when I'm stressed about stuff, and depression when I'm isolated or inactive for too long. I've found a good friend who is INTJ, and she has much more severe depression than I do. We help balance each other out. But the best medicine for me s working with my hands. I suppose it keeps me grounded in reality.

• June 17, 2017 5:09:24 PM PDT

I struggle with Social Anxiety, I think i can overcome it but there's still some things i need to accomplish first

• August 27, 2017 8:17:57 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I struggle with depression and anxiety when I'm not taking care of myself.

I need my alone time to decompress and to have good boundaries. When I push myself to do to much and people-please, then the depression and anxiety come up. I've found that when I slow down and reconnect with myself depression and anxiety go away. It's a daily practice of learning to be honest, patient, and forgiving of myself.

• August 29, 2017 4:45:47 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I have anxiety, depression, and ADHD, and probably a few other things but I try not to linger on that. I don't actually know a lot of INFJ's in person, so I can't tell you if it really is an INFJ thing, but most most of my introverted friends have anxiety, so it seems like a big theme for most introverts based off of my experiences. Of course, birds of a feather tend to flock together, haha.

• September 6, 2017 9:56:32 AM PDT

I need my alone time to feel fully relaxed too. I often feel low and stressed when I'm hanging out with people too much, so I simply kind of go away from them for a while. I easily get fed up with other people's emotions, I'm not able to deal with them and I get stressed and depressed quickly. I sometimes have no sense of reality whatsoever or I simply don't want to, but that's getting changed these years, perhaps it's a matter of maturity and self-improvement.
      Coming back to the topic itself, I used to struggle with social anxiety when I was younger. I'm still a shy person, but I've kind of learned how to communicate with people, especially because I'm able to 'read' them. Although I'm not comfortable with the world of people's emotions and problems. That all makes me feel depressed.

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel