Forums General Topics Psychology
  • Topic: Moral foundations

Back To Topics
    • July 4, 2017 7:30:36 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Moral foundations

With a little training, people can make adjustments in their communication styles and in the expression of their cognitive functions without sacrificing their unique gifts. Can similar training help us bridge political and cultural differences? It begins with a framework. MBTI describes temperament, but how do we capture the domains of political and cultural values? Take a look at the academic work described at http://www.yourmorals.org/ . Try the Moral Foundations Questionnaire and report your results here.

• July 5, 2017 9:18:50 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Moral foundations

Well i guess about political differences it wouldn't be a problem because improving your Mbti type means letting go of things and wrong ways of thinking, negative ideas, acceptance, .... But cultural differences lies partly on religions ... the main problem with Mbti = it explains that some people don't really speak or express the same way in some circumstances, so if you have the other's notice ...it tends to be easier but it's still the same problem with open-minds or narrow-minds. As long as you accept others ideas and you don't try to force them going your way meaning respecting them, then there are no problems... maybe it would tend to uniformation of culture by the way..

Same with politics as long as people are free to choose, there would be no meaning having so many laws so many restrictions since no one would juge the others for what they would have done BUT well we would live like animals then rules of the stronger i guess ...

• July 14, 2017 9:12:57 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Moral foundations

Moral Foundations Theory correlated with Big Five personality traits: http://individual.utoronto.ca/jacobhirsh/publications/Hirsh_DeYoung_Xu_Peterson_2010.pdf

• August 30, 2017 9:01:10 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Moral foundations

I still think this would be a great strategic pivot for projectevolove – a chance to outdo the dating site that boasts “Substance – Not Just Selfies” and a chance to do something for science. ;-)

We know that the Myers-Briggs crowd is not averse to answering long questionnaires. These guys offer over 100 of them ( http://www.yourmorals.org/all_morality_values_quizzes.php ), many or all of which I assume have been validated at some level. If we had a way of incorporating our individual results in our PEVO profiles, I have no doubt that we'd find much to talk about. It might also broaden the appeal of projectevolove to a much larger population.

Where to begin?

This post was edited by Soloread at August 30, 2017 9:01:34 PM PDT
    • September 1, 2017 12:20:09 PM PDT
    • Moral foundations

Moral Foundations:

Harm: 2.3
      Fairness: 2.8
      Loyalty: 1.2
      Authority: 0.5
      Purity: 1.3

Values Scale:

Power: 2.4
      Achieve: 6.5
      Hedonism: 6.0
      Stimulation: 6.0
      Self-Direction: 7.0
      Universalism: 4.6
      Benevolence: 5.0
      Tradition: 0
      Conformity: 2.5
      Security: 4.2

• July 31, 2020 1:54:00 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Moral foundations

Here's a link to a self-scorable 30 item Moral Foundations Questionnaire.
      https://moralfoundations.org/wp-content/uploads/files/MFQ30.self-scorable.doc

• August 1, 2020 5:44:38 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Moral foundations

I've posted my results elsewhere on PEVO, but here's an old graphic from the yourmorals website. I wouldn't agree with all of the findings, but that's probably normal. What do they mean by "Loyalty," etc.? I think of this as a starting point for some interesting conversations.

This post was edited by Soloread at August 1, 2020 5:53:01 PM PDT
    • August 1, 2020 6:02:48 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Moral foundations

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel