Forums General Topics Politics & Current Events
  • Topic: Food for thought on Activism

Back To Topics
    • October 4, 2017 7:00:18 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

Food for thought on Activism

Lately I've been having some discussions with a few friends about the power of protest, the importance of activism and the necessity of action. The more I talk about this topic, the more I feel that there really is no clear cut answer when it concerns finding your role. Does everyone need to participate in activism? Does being neutral make you a contributor? Well, in theory, yes. However, lately I've been more focused on the idea that we all have our own talents, and our own natural inclinations. Not everyones protest needs to look the same. Not everyone needs to go out onto the streets and participate in person, not everyone needs to write regular posts countering oppression, and not everyone needs to run fundraising events. I have at least a couple of friends who have literally been the rose that grew from concrete, growing out of poverty despite their socioeconomic conditions. These same friends will be the first to to say that "If I can make it, no one has an excuse. And protest isn't whats going to solve it". But it is. Protest, the posts, the kneeling, the hashtags, the articles, the petitions. Actually, every bit contributes to the eradication of oppression. But we can't all be jacks of all trades. We have our own individual strengths, some of us are story tellers, some of us are healers, some of us are warriors, etc. Forget the guilt of not doing enough, focus on what makes sense for you and your personal power.

Please do not comment if your views are radically different. If you do not agree with the basic concept of fighting oppression, you need to keep it moving as it will just be a waste of time - and personal time is precious for new moms ;) All others, you're welcome to contribute.

• October 22, 2017 3:37:32 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I concur that activism can take many forms. I believe opression shoulf be protested against/challenged and I believe that can take many shapes and forms as well. You explained this very well.

Can a person be neutral and still be part of the change? If that person is silent AND neutral then I believe that person is not part of the change.

Can a person who is not neutral stay silent and affect change? Communication is the key element. The silent part would pre-empt any contribution towards change.

In the face of oppression, silence (lack of communication) does not challenge the oppression.

Verbal communication, nonverbal communication , speeches, kneling during the anthem, signs, marches, and protests all communicate and all facilitate change.

So do conversations around the water cooler, conversations over the dinner table, and how we vote, these all are actions that initiate change.

Whereing a button for rqual rights, a bumper sticker that black lives matter are actions that have some impact. How much? is uncertain.

But silence aids the oppresors. Silence affects no change.

Just my opinion.

• March 2, 2018 8:54:55 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

I agree! Though I definitely think there is a potential for people to use protests/activist spaces to express support that is performative without wanting to actualize those ideals. Activism in itself has and can become commodified, unfortunately. And because of this people might use it to increase their social capital. That's their prerogative, of course, and to an extent, everybody does this without intending to. It's something to think about. I still want to involve myself in those spaces, of course, I can't deny the impact it's had.

I think the usual approach should be re-worked.

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel