Forums General Topics Spirituality & Philosophy
  • Topic: What do you believe?

Back To Topics
    • September 18, 2012 7:45:57 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

This is an open topic to discuss what your spiritual/philosophical beliefs are, and what you like about them. Please, let's keep this mature and harmonious!

• September 19, 2012 5:00:21 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Well, I'm a consequentialist and more than that I believe that our footsteps (deeds) will live forever in those we meet. You could see it as eternal waves that never stop.
      I believe that the smallest action can lead to the greatest things and that a smile today might be the difference between war and peace in a hundred years since our impressions of what has happened to us in the past decides how we act.
      But that's my personal view on things. It's hard to write down my whole belief system, but that's basically what I believe.

When it comes to the beginning of the universe, then I tend to ask myself. If time started to exist when big-bang exploded, how could it then explode?
      I'm not educated in that theory, but that idea about the beginning of time itself has been bugging me for quite some time.

• September 19, 2012 6:04:33 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I'm a Christian. I've spent most of my church time at a non-denominational church. Through a lot of my recent reading, I have been agreeing with much of Eastern Orthodoxy; unfortunately there are no Eastern Orthodox churches around where I live to check out. I'm not currently going to any church and have yet to find one that might be good.

• September 21, 2012 7:59:32 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Thank you all for your input! :D

I was raised in a United Methodist Christian family; however, a few years through college, and a wonderful book later, I am starting to open my mind towards another option: Taoism.

Granted, I have only read the Tao Te Ching once, and have not had any family issues regarding our spiritual beliefs and practices. I always wish and intend to stay open minded towards all beliefs.

• March 11, 2013 7:37:40 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I use to subscribe to pleasure, now I believe in kindness.

• July 16, 2013 6:36:03 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

A system of ordered chaos

• January 4, 2014 12:06:40 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I'm fairly thoroughly agnostic, but as I enjoy creating and utilizing models and systems, I've created my own religion, and I have a Doctor Of Divinity from the Universal Life Church to back it up. Philosophically, I'm somewhere in between Taosim and Epicureanism, while theisticly speaking, I believe in an atheistic (ex nihilo) creation of the universe, but tend to model the entire universe as a pantheistic super-organism. I practice Chaos Magick (a psycholocial form of occultism), freely mixed with Haitian Vodou, Obeah, Quimbanda, traditional Mayan and Aztec religion, Slavic paganism, relgious Taoism, Buddhism, Sufism, Thelema, fairy faith, modern and acient scientific theories and anthing else that strikes my fancy, or seems to be useful in some way. I've created my own, cosmology, cosmogenesis, sacred alphabet, language, and numerological system (based on the repeating 24 number sequence of the digital root of the fibonacci sequence), If anyone is interested, or would like to join (or sell their soul to me), I can draw, and send you a pamphlet, which would rival that of any Chick Publication.

Generally, when anyone asks, I either tell then that I'm agnostic, that I'm a philosophical Taoist, or that I practice Vodou. All of which are equally true and false...ect. I don't exactly take anything seriously, but neither to I consider it a joke, exactly.

• February 20, 2014 1:38:06 PM PST
    • What do you believe?

PremiumG said:
      Thank you all for your input! :D I was raised in a United Methodist Christian family; however, a few years through college, and a wonderful book later, I am starting to open my mind towards another option: Taoism. Granted, I have only read the Tao Te Ching once, and have not had any family issues regarding our spiritual beliefs and practices. I always wish and intend to stay open minded towards all beliefs.

One of my former teachers identified as Taoist, and seemed very peaceful and content with his beliefs. I've wondered about the specifics of them ever since . . . struck me as very interesting.

• March 11, 2014 9:15:27 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I believe that every soul is part of the conscious universe, that separation is an illusion, that to harm one harms all to help one helps all. I'm influenced by taoism, buddhism, confucianism, new age thought shamanism, and consider myself a pantheistic shaman complete with spirit quests (I use meditation techniques not drugs). I go to a Unitarian Universalist church with people of all faiths and non-faiths. I have strong roots in christianity and after a grieving period I went through have learned to be glad for the wisdom there too. I'm also an avid believer in the scientific method.

This post was edited by JustinDixon at November 15, 2016 3:51:52 PM PST
    • March 13, 2014 11:50:45 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Logical reasoning implies that if a house had a designer, builder, then objects with greater complexity require greater complexity of design, and higher intelligence to create. The earth is more complex than a house. DNA is so complex it had to be designed, and the universe could not have happened by mere chance. The book of creation points to a Grand Designer. The Bible gives him a name: Jehovah.

• March 23, 2014 5:25:40 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I've studied Christianity my whole life (used to be one til 3 years ago) Judaism, Islam and various other religions from a historical and scientific view. I would say I adhere to Judaism but I don't want to convert and it's difficult to understand the whole "God" concept.

This is a really great video on the existence of a "God", "Entity" or "Creator" from a scientific standpoint. It doesn't subscribe to any religion except toward the end it claims all the evidence proves one particular religion but they give no evidence at all to back that up. Anyhow it's a great video, I watch it all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1x-6al2pE
      "The Signs of God's Existence"

• March 23, 2014 5:46:43 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Also along the lines of religion, I was talking with my mother the other day and her friend told her of a study that only one or two percent of people in the world are able to leave their original faith for an other faith. Sounded like it was just too much for the rest of the population, too intense. I have met people that stopped being religious and they don't want to have anything to do with any other religion after leaving their particular faith. I have also met people that have left their faith in order to pursue an other one. I wonder what the relation between personality types and that are???

If you know of this article/study please share.

• March 23, 2014 6:25:55 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Interesting. I see people leaving their religion every day. I think I may leave mine for life, but I'm not honestly sure yet. We'll see. :)

• March 24, 2014 12:16:00 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I am Agnostic/Buddhist. I follow the Buddhist mindset of showing unbiased compassion, non-violent actions, and seeing equal value in all living things (not a vegetarian though); however, I don't believe in reincarnation or having a soul. I think it may be easier to accomplish the Buddhist teachings as an INTP when the belief itself tells you to question whatever ideas you don't agree with to have open discussions, to see things from every angle and view the world without judgement.

I have been asked if I believe in God I said no then they asked why. My response "If God exists then God exists, if God doesn't exist then God doesn't exist; whether or not I choose to believe is irrelevant, it changes nothing."

I am however science driven, I have no qualms about a Universe that formed without the aid of a higher entity. I have many theory ideas that I need to get off my ass, write the proposals, and submit them in, but I tend to put it off all the time. I said I would do it 4 months ago and here I am still haven't done it.

• March 26, 2014 10:58:01 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I simply think that the beauty of the universe and the complexity of people could only have been created by another Person all powerful and without a beginning. As a scientist I look for adequate causes. The Christian God seems to fit that description the best.

• April 7, 2014 4:25:11 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

<blockquote><strong><a href="/profile/DKmarsh">DKmarsh</a> said:</strong><br />I'm a dietist like Thomas Jefferson. I think that whatever created the origin of the universe and the Big Bang had some kind of a higher power, but what came after purely follows the laws of physics set forth by the original creator.</blockquote><br />LOL @ dietist:) deist you meant, I guess (this shouldn't come as a surprise from an INFJ)

I'll have to agree with TimidTraveler, what you said there sounds quite like me. I'd like to consider myself eclectic, but I'm mostly science oriented, keeping in mind that everything is to be questioned and humankind is far from perfect and omniscient. Since I consider faith to be immanent and inherent (yes, to me, even atheism is a belief-system of not believeing in a Creator), if I had to pick an already existing moral and spiritual codex, it would definitely be Buddhism. In the way Bertrand Russell did.

This post was edited by Clarimonde at April 7, 2014 4:35:30 AM PDT
    • May 12, 2014 8:30:34 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I consider myself an Agnostic Atheist, where Agnosticism is a position of knowledge and Atheism is a position of belief. I don't know if a god or gods exist, I think the existence is unknowable, and I see no reason to believe in their existence. A Gnostic Atheist would claim to know with absolute certainty and reject the existence altogether. I've just never been a believer although my family are largely non-denominational. I found a passion for science before I was made aware of The Holy Bible.

As far as any kind of spirituality, I do have some views, that are largely science driven, which are similar to the views of a good friend and vocalist for our band, who considers himself a Secular Buddhist as well as an INFP. Ah, we do have some great conversations with regards to the complexities of the human experience and nature of the universe.

This post was edited by MikeW at May 12, 2014 8:31:25 PM PDT
    • May 26, 2014 5:41:27 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I see, an Agnostic Atheist... so you're not sure if atheists exist. There might be Atheists in the world, but one can never be certain. Got it. :D

• July 15, 2014 5:45:38 PM PDT
    • What do you believe?

I was raised Anglican. Around high school, I explored Eastern religions out of curiousity, starting with Islam. Read some of the Koran (English trans.) During college I took several courses on religion, the philosophy of religion, and Eastern relgions and Eastern philosophy. Read the Tao Te Ching and the Dhammapada.

Right now, I have the belief that God isn't personified. It's about us being part of the One and the One being in all. It's complicated, yet so simple.

I recommend reading "As A Man Thinketh", this sums up what I currently try to follow.

• July 16, 2014 4:39:39 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I can't say too much. I will say it is a real religion. I was raised Methodist. I am not anything which would be considered popular or readily available to the general public.

• July 17, 2014 5:47:58 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I am still analyzing/assessing the religions. For now, i would have to say that I am Deist.

• July 28, 2014 5:41:08 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I'm an atheist. However I believe the fact that the word "atheist" exists is silly. Afterall, we don't have words for people that don't do/believe in other things.

I think that the lack of disproof for something is not a reason to believe in something. My decisions are based on logic and my beliefs evolve as I learn. As I learn more, my beliefs will change. However a belief should be tucked away in the corner of ones mind as a hunch to be verified later on, a suspicion if you will. I find it ridiculous that people are willing to die for their beliefs or deny overwhelming evidence in favor of them.

Everyone has beliefs, but logic and evidence should rule how we behave.

This post was edited by AveryLane at July 28, 2014 5:42:36 PM PDT
    • August 3, 2014 9:25:55 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I may be doubling up my post here; if so, my apologies! I believe we can't know where the universe came from. After all, it must have appeared from nothing, or have always been here, and I contend that our brains are not capable of comprehending either scenario, leaving the origins of the universe an eternal mystery to humans.

I believe our brains have emerged from natural selection good at survival, not at truth-seeking, and thus we are not very good at, or even capable, of seeing things as they "really are."

• August 9, 2014 5:18:10 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

ThreePointtFG said:
      I may be doubling up my post here; if so, my apologies! I believe we can't know where the universe came from. After all, it must have appeared from nothing, or have always been here, and I contend that our brains are not capable of comprehending either scenario, leaving the origins of the universe an eternal mystery to humans. I believe our brains have emerged from natural selection good at survival, not at truth-seeking, and thus we are not very good at, or even capable, of seeing things as they "really are."

It's just another one of the monsters in the universe. In science nothing can be created or destroyed, it just shifts from one to another. If you were to take a mug and smash it with a hammer, you didn't destroy the mug at all rather you moved its particles around, every little or large piece of it still exists. Our bodies consume compounds, break them down into elements and reuses them again. Even ourselves don't cease to exist our bodies decompose, get consumed by other organisms, and our materials breaks down becoming parts of other compounds. You could say we've always existed and will continue to exist, just as other materials that came before and that comes after. Was there anything before the Big Bang, in the space we occupy now probably not, that does not mean the universe was created from that point rather everything the universe of today once occupied a very tiny space that is the epicenter of the event we know as the Big Bang. That itself could have been another "universe" that was there before ours, the properties of that old universe shifted into our known universe.

• September 3, 2014 9:30:06 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I believe that the universe has been around for a long time. Things are really stepping up, though. Modern humans (homo sapiens) have gone through some amazing behavior patterns and organizational changes in the last 10,000 years. These have commonly been categorized as hunter-gatherer, agrarian, industrial and post-industrial. Recent categories continuing along this line would be integral and post-integral. Technology, like post-integral consciousness, is developing and diffusing at an exponential rate. This is especially true for the progress of microprocessors. Smart phones do today what large room-sized processors couldn't do in the 1950's and 1960's. This dive by collective society into the computer age has created a speedy and individual-thought focused culture of perpetual discussion and close, up-to-the-minute contact with the goings-on of the world at large. The exchange of ideas and information is the new economy as much as the exchange of livestock and crop seeds was in the recent past. I think Ram Dass' philosophy of awareness is pertinent to the lingering differences in the availability of resources around the world. Clearly not all nations yet possess super highways, masses of universities and regular and representative democratic elections. Ram Dass brought focus in his speaking on awareness to the truth that these imbalances are separate from the quintessential humanity of all people. Worldwide education is a must and should match the quickness of the progress of the microprocessors in recent decades. This is also true for human rights, availability of quality healthcare and spiritual freedom. There is enough food produced on this planet to feed everyone. What the world needs to finally end hunger and malnutrition is infrastructure and freedom to mete Maslow's hierarchy of actualizational requirements.

This post was edited by MattD at September 3, 2014 11:58:33 PM PDT

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel