Forums General Topics Spirituality & Philosophy
  • Topic: What do you believe?

Back To Topics
    • October 10, 2014 7:27:50 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I'm equally torn between creationism and evolution. I can see logic on both sides, really. I was raised in a Baptist church and now see myself as "undecided". For all I know, the universe as we know it is just a spec of dust on some cheap hotel's lamp shade. Or maybe an amoeba on someone's microscope lense. Who knows?

• December 1, 2014 2:27:58 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

between deism and universal consciousness. Because of quantum mechanics and placebo effect. Probably some free will with restrictions. Or all choices I make are predetermined? I don't think it's that boring. Yep, some free will.
      I like buddhism

This post was edited by lizette at December 1, 2014 2:47:33 AM PST
    • December 1, 2014 2:50:59 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

"I'm equally torn between creationism and evolution. I can see logic on both sides, really. I was raised in a Baptist church and now see myself as "undecided". For all I know, the universe as we know it is just a spec of dust on some cheap hotel's lamp shade. Or maybe an amoeba on someone's microscope lense. Who knows?" RogerRabbit

maybe we were created to evolve?

This post was edited by lizette at December 1, 2014 2:55:26 AM PST
    • December 29, 2014 3:26:49 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Wow some strong beliefs are here, I am a Christian and I prefer covenant and reformed theology. If you feel like asking me about it message me. Jesus all the way!

• January 3, 2015 4:08:33 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Very interesting beliefs here. I love hearing what other people believe and why. I am Roman Catholic and I believe that God is Love and is a communion of divine persons. I was raised Catholic but really only got to know God and own my faith through some life-changing experiences in college. After college I served as a year as a Catholic Campus Missionary which was quite awesome. If you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

This post was edited by aury4eva at January 3, 2015 4:21:44 PM PST
    • January 5, 2015 4:19:53 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I believe the religion and god are a load of bullshit.

• January 26, 2015 7:58:44 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I am a LaVeyan Satanist, which is an individualistic philosophy where the rituals are psychodrama. It's Atheistic, meaning there is no belief in a God or Satan and Satan is merely a representation of the individuality of the "religion."

With that said, I love learning about religions and their philosophies and nuances! If you message me about religion, and we get on a topic, I'll probably not shut up, lol.

• February 5, 2015 12:15:45 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I built my own religion. How INTJ of me... muahaha

Now I just need coolaid and some followers. Would anyone like to join?

On a serious note, I believe a hybrid of Christianity mixed with new age ideas. I incorporate what I believe to be accurate about the world.

• March 25, 2015 6:32:04 PM PDT
    • What do you believe?

Philosophically, I think the universe exists as a spectrum of consciousness (which i synonymous to complexity/dimension/intelligence in my view), which spans infinitely towards the minuscule and immense. As beings of fixed consciousness, I think there's a logical limit to how far we can "see" up or down this spectrum (natural asymptotes). This ties into my religious view of weak deism - something greater likely created us and our physical world, but because it exists at a higher level of consciousness we can't really comprehend it. Since consciousness has no upper bound, however, I reject the idea of any absolutely supreme thing.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at March 25, 2015 6:32:19 PM PDT
    • April 21, 2015 4:23:13 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I believe in nothing. lol.

• April 30, 2015 10:01:26 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I believe this (reality) is all nonsense. If people need something to anchor themselves, they should seek it out for themselves, and also except that others need to find their own anchor. Other than that, life's just about seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes, seeing who else is down there, and just not ruining things for others whenever possible.

• April 30, 2015 5:46:13 PM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I try not to 'believe'. I exist and watch. How the hell could I even begin to grasp what's beyond the physical.

• August 11, 2015 9:32:18 AM PDT
    • What do you believe?

I'm an Agnostic Theist with no religious alignment.

I acknowledge the existence of a creator, or supreme being, or maybe even that we are in a computer simulation designed by our future selves. I do not have any set belief in these matters and am not likely to ever have them.

• October 4, 2015 11:04:05 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Belief is futile. A warm and fuzzy blanket for your ego to give point and meaning to the madness, evil and chaos of life. It works well for most and I do not knock it for its effect, but in the end if futile.

If there is a God, or Gods, or spirits, etc....they don't need your belief to exist. If you're here for a purpose, that purpose is not to figure out what your purpose is. It's to live, to observe, to experience and contribute to life. To live your life. I would image those entities rolling their eyes and murmuring, 'yes..yes, we exist. Get on with it. How will you treat your fellow man or woman? That's what your there for."

Belief is an inherited truth based on what resonated with your or what makes the most sense. It lacks pure truth....because each persons truth is subjective. What you see or what you feel will differ from what many others see or feel. Thus, you can have two or more truthts that contradict. Either one, or both, is actually false and neither has the data or information to be confirmed or it would be a universal truth. Therefore belief is speculation that leads to a paradigm and one that may blind you to future information because you have chosen to believe that information is untrue because it does not fit your belief system.

Belief nuders growth. I seek truth in all its forms, including those that are not my own.

• November 30, 2015 3:44:03 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

You can't spell believe without a lie in the middle :v

• November 30, 2015 3:46:18 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

But I do like Joe Cambell's idea of being a Mythist :D

• February 9, 2016 7:01:56 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I think there is truth in every religion. I believe we are spiritual beings having a physical experience and we are here by choice to learn, grow, experience, and to share all that this life teaches us. I believe that when we leave this place we relive every thought, action, and word spoken both from our own perspective and from the perspective of whomever we affected in that instance, and that the sum total of how we feel after that review tells us where we are at.

• February 9, 2016 8:39:38 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

What I believe? Well, it's clear. I believe in science = scientific miracles in Quran = one god

• March 8, 2016 1:12:17 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Better a mind open with wonder than closed with belief.

• October 9, 2016 11:20:21 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

Passionate worshipper of empiricism with a slight dose of existential nihilism when my procrastination gets the better of me.

• October 20, 2016 1:28:48 AM PDT
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I saw this question and it really made me think of what do I belive it? I was raised as a Christian and my faith was so strong I could literally move mountains. I could stay in (orthodox) church for like 4 hours in a row, hearing choir singing, smelling wondeful frankincense, watching candles buring, sunlight going inside the church while I was praying. I felt like Im part of something bigger: community, mankind, universe...(i was brought up in a really small community when on Sunday you were meeting everyone in church). When twice a year we had this overnight messes (Christmas and Easter) I just couldnt wait to experience it and even as a 8yo child I would just stay still 5-6 hours in a row and was sad when the mess was over. I tried to observe lent for as long as 8 weeks before and it made each Christmas/Easter amazingly wonderful experience. I was praying twice a day and had my own prayers. To that- I made friends with local priest's family and was visiting them often.
      With time and growing up something has changed. What it was? I am still not sure but I somehow lost it all. I am still a Christian. I still go to church and pray but is just way way different. Maybe its due to all those external factors and seing it now more as a religion and less as a faith and be able to see so many bad stuff in there...
      When it comes to faith I think I will always be a beliver. Faith helps me. I just cant exactly tell what Im beliving in right now. Maybe its energy, maybe people maybe God in a way. I just think there is omething one and above us all and it's more like energy or subconsciousness. Like a sphere where things are intangible and immortal, where there's the spirit and there are our souls. I wish I could experience it more.
      I do meditation but its not enought to reach this high energy and wisdom and soulful level.
      I hope onde day I will go back to what I had as a child....
      I'm still a beliver :)

• October 27, 2016 7:29:19 AM PDT
    • What do you believe?

Atheistic existentialism, but with more of a practical freedom than absolute freedom. Some people like to try and combine the spiritual with quantum physics, but there is nothing in quantum mechanics that validates any form of spirituality. It sounds good on paper, but as of now it is nothing but conjecture. The same could be said of atheism. Godel's Incompleteness Theorems actually states that there are things that are true and things that are false that we can never know. This also means that there are things people might believe to be true that are actually false, and things that we believe to be false that are actually true. The problem is if we don't know what we aren't able to discern as true or false, and these happen to be things that we cannot know are true or false, then there's not exactly a whole lot of resolution. Could there be a God? Godel's theorems say it's possible just as it's impossible. Whether it's something we can ever know is an entirely different matter. Even then, regardless of if the existence of God or free will can be proven to be entirely true or entirely false, there will still be people who will reject evidence in favor of what they believe.

Or we could just go against what I was saying about quantum physics and spirituality, then go full-blown Schrodinger's Cat and say everything both is and isn't.

Plus that experiment that the Australians recreated that proves that reality doesn't exist, at least on a very small scale, until it is observed is pretty interesting. It means the universe is full of potential. As for how far this potential reaches, it's up for debate.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at October 27, 2016 7:42:34 AM PDT
    • November 12, 2016 10:14:31 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I am a seeker and an agnostic.......I do believe in a Higher Power but have no idea what form S/He takes. I am currently an idealistic Unitarian Universalist, but in other periods I have considered myself a light wiccan/pagan.

• January 19, 2017 11:15:46 PM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

I guess I'm an agnostic. I don't really believe or disbelieve anything. I have my private suspicions based on my understanding of how the universe works, but that's all.

• January 20, 2017 6:20:09 AM PST
      • Thanks
      • Rep

What do you believe?

What would be interesting is to see if there's any correlation between personality type and belief. Or even at it's most basic, does personality type lend to tendency to believe in something?

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel